Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Lazy Crusade?

I have to be honest with you...I am lazy.  I know this may surprise some of you - maybe not my mother and close friends, but yes..it is true.  I enjoy laying on the couch with my coffee and blanket.  My wonderful husband bought me a small notebook laptop so that I can begin to blog....he knew I would not blog if I had to sit in a chair at a desk! Here I am...with my coffee, blanket and notebook.  It is a wonderful feeling.  The Bible does not encourage laziness, so I can not blog to encourage others to lay around and do nothing...so, what am I doing??


I love sitting at the beach, reading a book...doing nothing.  I have a close friend who I talked into sitting at the beach with me and she enjoyed it so much that she began to meet me at the beach quite often throughout our 6 week summer here in Michigan.  We had a great time chatting and soaking up the sun. One day, she looked at me and said, "Heidi, thank you for teaching me how to sit around and do nothing without feeling guilty about it".  Ummm...your welcome?  I was not sure how to take this statement at first...is my calling in life to create lazy people?? I don't think God would want me to begin a crusade for sitting around...although, I think that crusade would probably be quite popular! I laughed at my friend as she was turning red from the few hours we had been sitting in the sun.  I looked at our feet splashing in the water - we had moved our chairs up so we would not have to actually stand up and walk over to the water to cool off...we could just set our chairs in the sand while our feet were in the water!  ( I think this is another very important thing I taught my friend that day...no standing required!)


My friend was not laughing, which was a little strange.  She had just finished telling me that I taught her how to sit around and not feel guilty, but she had a very serious look on her face...and...was that tears in her eyes or just a reflection of the waves? She continued by talking about the verse in the Bible, "Be still and know that I am God..."  she told me that she had a problem with "being still".  She talked about how she needs to learn to "just sit".  Sometimes we need to take time for ourselves, and sometimes, God can speak to us easier if we take the time to "Be still".  My friend was not joking around with me when she thanked me for teaching her how to sit around.  I guess some people need to  know that it is okay to sit, relax and listen.  God shows us many things when we sit down for some quiet time.  He can show us things about ourselves. He can show us his creation...especially while sitting at a beautiful beach.  God is waiting for us to "be still" so that we can "know" Him better.  Take time to sit down..take time to look around you.  God maybe trying to show you something, but you are too busy with life to see it.
So, don't be lazy...but Be Still.  You can thank me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment