Thursday, May 17, 2012

God, where's my map?

So, Have you ever thought you had things all figured out? Have you finally found the perfect job or the "just right" outfit and you felt as if all in the world is just as it should be?  Did you feel as if you have finally arrived at the destination that was planned for you? Not many of us have gotten to this point in our lives, but let me tell you a secret...if you get there, it will change...It is funny how life changes. Sometimes, it changes throughout a few years, and other times it changes in a moment.


God seems to use these changes in life to mold us into who we need to be.   One of my favorite books is "Hinds Feet on High Places".  The main character in the book is seeking out the place where she can live in peace and harmony with God.  She climbs a mountain, then...she realizes the trail she is on has switched it's course and she is heading toward the valley down below.  She is so confused as to why God would lead her on a path heading the "wrong way".  Later, through all of the twists and turns in her journey, she realizes that the very roadblocks that she thought was detrimental to her final destination...was actually the real journey that God had planned for her.  This journey of pain, sorrow, hardships, joy, happiness and accomplishments was exactly the road she had to take in order for her to become who she was ultimately created to be.  Without these life events, she would never become who she was meant to be...she would never reach her final destination if she did not follow the right path to get there.


Lately, I felt as if I was the character in this book.  I thought I had things all figured out! I knew the path I was on. I could see the place ahead that I knew God had finally brought me to. Then, all of a sudden, I looked up and the road took another turn!  What happened to the road I saw coming up next?  What happened to the future I knew God was showing me?  I was so confused as to how this could happen when I was sure I knew exactly what was on the map!  I had prayed, searched, and finally found my place - so I thought.  I was real comfortable with where I was headed, then all of a sudden...I lost the map!


Sometimes in life, our map is taken from us.  God is waiting for us to rely on Him for our next step, our next adventure.  How do we learn to have faith if we already see the finish line?  How do we trust God when we already know what is ahead?  That is where God and I differ.  You see, I think it would save us a lot of time and whining (okay, the whining is all me) if God would just hand me the map of my life and I could see where this next road is going.  I like to know where I am going.  I don't like to take a trip without having some kind of plan as to what we will be doing or where we will be going.  I don't even like taking a walk unless I have some kind of destination! (preferably an ice cream establishment)  I question God at times as to why He doesn't just let me know ahead of time which way I will be turning...at least I could turn on a blinker or some sort of warning for those who have to travel with me - like my husband and kids!  The problem is, if I have a map, I will no longer be looking at God.  I will be looking down at all the turns that are coming, stressing if I will make it through the roadblocks and construction coming in my life.  I know I would be taking more classes on how to maneuver through mountainous roads than I would about the Bible - which is supposed to be our real road map for life.  God gave us the Bible so we can hear His voice when we can't hear His voice.  The Bible has so many stories of people who had roadblocks in their life.  It shows how they survived, how they trusted God and changed other people's lives by looking to God instead of a map.


One story in the Bible that I love is about a man named Daniel.  He continued to pray to God even when a law was passed that you could not pray to anyone except the king.  So, he was set up by a few jealous co-workers and he was arrested.  His punishment was to be thrown into a den of hungry lions and be eaten alive.  I am sure at this moment, as they were walking toward the growling lions, that Daniel wondered why God did not warn him about this. Well, if I was Daniel, I would be asking where this turn was located on the map.  Why end a perfectly good journey with a dead end?  It just doesn't seem like good timing to be eaten alive by lions...but, is there ever a good time for that?


If you read the story, you will find out that Daniel was not eaten that night.  He lounged the whole night with drooling wide- eyed cats, but they never ate him.  They didn't even lay a paw on him.  When the king's posse came the next morning, they found Daniel sitting with the lions perfectly uneaten.  I'll bet the king who had sent him to the lions did not see this on the map!  The king made a new law when he saw how amazing Daniel's God was - how He had protected Daniel from the lions of death.  The new law stated that everyone would now be free to worship Daniel's God!  This dead end on Daniel's map changed a nation!


In the New Living Translation, Proverbs 20:24 is translated as,  "The Lord directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?"  This is something I need to remember...if I ask God to be the map maker of my life, then I need to let Him direct my steps even if I don't understand where I am going or why I am heading there.  

If you plan your life out, draw your own map and start heading down the path...you will be missing out on what God has for you.  You will miss out on becoming who God created you to be.  You may arrive at the destination you were seeking when creating your personal map, but you will not arrive in peace.  You will always be missing something along the way...something that you just can't figure out.  You may even take a few pit stops to try to fill your life with something you think will patch the pot hole that is there.  I want you to know, even if you arrive at the "right" destination in your life, you will not arrive as the right person unless you take the road God has for you.  The reason God has twists, turns, mountains and valleys mapped out in your journey is for you to transform into the perfect you.  He wants you to be the best you can be...the most amazing person that He envisioned you to be when you were created.  We all have a map.  God has the steps for us to take, we just have to allow Him to direct us as we travel.


So, forget your map and GPS, look to God instead.  Trust His plan for your life and enjoy the travels! He has many adventures planned and you may be surprised at who you will become as you continue your journey following God's map - even if you can't see it! 




Pack your bags...your going on a Road Trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment